Place:


Mickleton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mickleton like this:

MICKLETON, a village and a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour and county of Gloucester. The village stands 2 miles W of the boundary with Warwick, 2½ N by E of Chipping-Campden r. station, and 6½ WNW of Shipston-on-Stour; and has a post office under Moreton-in-Marsh. The parish contains also the hamlets of Clopton and Hidcote-Bartrim. ...


Acres, 3,766. Real property, £9,082. Pop., 743. Houses, 163. The manor belongs to Sir John M. Steele-Graves, Bart.; and the Manor House, a noble building in the Tudor style, is Sir John's seat. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman, partly pointed; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains monuments to the Steele and the Graves families. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £209. Graves, the author of the "Spiritual Quixote, ''and Keck, the lawyer, were natives.

Mickleton through time

Mickleton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mickleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mickleton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10996

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mickleton ".