Place:


Long Marston  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Marston like this:

MARSTON-SICCA, or LONG MARSTON, a village and a parish in the district of Stratford-on-Avon and county of Gloucester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Honeybourne and Stratford railway, within 2 miles of the boundaries with Warwic1k and Worcester, 5½ miles SW of Stratford-on-Avon; consists of two parts, called respectively Marston-Sicca and Long MarSton; contains a house in which Charles II. ...


lay concealed in the flight from Worcester; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stratford-on-Avon, both of the name of Long Marston. The parish comprises 1,680 acres. Real property, £2,848. Pop., 371. Houses, 80. The manor belongs to F. Tomes, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £430.* Patron, FTomes, Esq. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a tower, and contains an old Norman font. There are an endowed school with £101 a year, and charities £6.

Long Marston through time

Long Marston is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Marston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Marston, in Stratford on Avon and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10992

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Marston ".