Place:


Launde  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Launde like this:

LAUNDE, an extra-parochial tract in Billesdon district, Leicester; adjacent to Rutlandshire, 5 miles NW of Uppingham. Acres, 1, 640. Real property, £1, 612. Pop., 42. Houses, 5. The property belongs to E. F. Dawson, Esq. An Angustinian priory was founded here in 1125, by Richard Bassett; and was given, at the dissolution, to Lord Cromwell. A large mansion, in the Tudor style, now occupies the priory's site; was built partly with its stones, bears its name, is the seat of Mr. Dawson, and has attached to it a handsome small chapel.

Launde through time

Launde is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Launde itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Launde, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10986

Date accessed: 21st September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Launde ".