Place:


Knaptoft  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knaptoft like this:

KNAPTOFT, a township in Lutterworth district, and a parish partly also in Market-Harborough district, Leicester. The township lies near the Grand Union canal, the Market Harborough and Rugby railway, and the boundary with Northampton, 2 miles WNW of Theddingworth r. station, and 7 ENE of Lutterworth. ...


Real property, £1, 808. Pop., 54. Houses, 7.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Walton, and the chapelries of Shearsby and Mowsley; the last of which has a postoffice under Rugby. Acres, 4, 940. Real property, £6, 733. Pop., 841. Houses, 204. A mineral spring, of some medicinal repute, but not much resorted to, is at an inn in Shearsby township. Framework knitting is carried on. There are traces of an ancient camp. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelries of Shearsby and Mowsley, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £700.* Patron, John Hood, Esq. The parish church is in ruin; and the church of Shearsby, which has a tower, is in use. Bishop Watson was rector.

Knaptoft through time

Knaptoft is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knaptoft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knaptoft, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10974

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knaptoft ".