Place:


Phillack  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Phillack like this:

PHILLACK, a parish and a sub-district in Redruth district, Cornwall. The parish lies on St. Ives bay, the river Hayle, and the West Cornwall railway, around Hayle r. station, and 4 miles S E by E of St. Ives. It contains the hamlets of Angarrack, Guilford, Logans, and Venton-League; it contains also part of the sea-port village of Hayle, which has a head post-office; and it hasfairs on 20 June and 4 Aug. ...


Acres, 3, 237; of which 330 are water. Real property, £24, 283; of which £21,055are in mines, £160 in iron-works, and £400 in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 4, 800; in 1861, 5, 381. Houses, 1,022. The property is subdivided. Penpol, Bodriggy, and Riviere are chief residences. Drifting sand has largelyencroached on the land from the shore, and formsmenacing towns. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Gwithian, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £540.* Patron, the Rev. F. Hockin. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. Gwithianchurch, except the tower, was rebuilt in 1866.—The sub-district contains also Gwithian and Gwinear parishes. Acres, 10, 481. Pop., 9,035. Houses, 1, 741.

Phillack through time

Phillack is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Phillack itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Phillack, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1097

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Phillack ".