Place:


Longborough  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longborough like this:

LONGBOROUGH, a parish, with a village, in Stowon-the-Wold district, Gloucester; on the Fosse way, 3 miles SW of Moreton r. station. Post town, Moretonin the-Marsh. Acres, 2,770. Real property, £4,243. Pop., 655. Houses, 152. The manor belongs to Lord Leigh; and most of the land, to Lord Leigh, E. ...


T. Godman, Esq., and SirR. Rushout, Bart. Banks Fee is the seat of E. T. Godman, Esq. A Roman settlement was at or near the village. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Seasoncote, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £221.* Patrons, Lord Leigh and SirR. Rushout, Bart. The church is Norman; and comprises transept, aisle, and chancel, with a pinuacled tower. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £5.

Longborough through time

Longborough is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longborough, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10954

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longborough ".