Place:


Llanfihangel Abercowin  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Abercowin like this:

LLANFIHANGEL-ABERCOWIN, a village and a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen. The village stands on the river Taff, at the influx of the Cowyn, 2 miles N of Langharne, and 3 SSE of St. Clears r. station; is a considerable place; and has fairs on 12 May and 10 Oct. The parish contains also the village of Pentre; and its Post town is Laugharne, under St. ...


Clears. Acres, 5,180. Real property, £6,555; of which £110 are in quarries. Pop., 893. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Mydrim, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is toerable. Three rudely sculptured stones, called the Pilgrims' stones, are in the churchyard. There are chapels for Calvinistic Methodists and Wesleyans, and charities £10.

Llanfihangel Abercowin through time

Llanfihangel Abercowin is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Abercowin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Abercowin in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10951

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Abercowin ".