Place:


Urswick  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Urswick like this:

URSWICK, a parish, with four townships, in Ulverston district, Lancashire; 3 miles SSW of Ulverston r. station. Post town, Ulverston. Acres, 4,100. Real property, £8,650; of which £400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 891; in 1861, 1,080. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Landowners. The church was recently restored. The p. curacy of Bardsea is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £23.

Urswick through time

Urswick is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Urswick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Urswick, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10940

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Urswick ".