Place:


Teignmouth  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Teignmouth like this:

Teignmouth, market town, seaport, and watering-place, Devon, at mouth of river Teign, 15 miles S. of Exeter and 209 miles SW. of London by rail, 1238 ac., pop. 7120; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town consists of the two parishes of East Teignmouth (745 ac., pop. ...


2482) and West Teignmouth (493 ac., pop. 4638). East Teignmouth is the watering-place; West Teignmouth is the port and place of business. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The chief industries are shipbuilding and fishing. Two of the principal objects of interest are the Den, a promenade formed from a sandbank between the town and the sea, and the wooden bridge, of 34 arches and 1672 ft. long, the longest wooden bridge in England, which connects Teignmouth with the village of Shaldon. Teignmouth furnished its quota of ships and men to the siege of Calais in 1347, and was thrice burnt by the French, twice about that time, and again in 1690.

Teignmouth through time

Teignmouth is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Teignmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teignmouth, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1094

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Teignmouth ".