Place:


Kingswood  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingswood like this:

KINGSWOOD, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands 1 mile NE of carries on manufactures in woollen cloth; and has a post office under Wootton-under-Edge. The parish comprises 2, 350 acres. Real property, £6, 443. Pop. in 1851, 1, 227; in 1861, 1, 061. Houses, 268. ...


The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the cloth manufacture. The property is divided. The land anciently formed part of an extensive forest, superintended by the constable of Bristol castle. The manor belongs now to R. H. Blagden Hale, Esq. A Cistertian priory, a cell to Tintern abbey, was founded here, in 1139, by William de Berkeley; was removed, for a time, to Rodmorden and Tutbury; was re-founded here in 1170; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to the Thynnes; and remains of it still exist near the parish church. woollen cloth factories are at Kingswood Mills and Nind Mills; and there is a brewery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £99.* Patrons, the Parishioners. The church comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Berkeleys and others. There are an Independent chapel, a free school with £50 a year, and charities £149.

Kingswood through time

Kingswood is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingswood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingswood, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10939

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingswood ".