Kemerton  Gloucestershire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kemerton like this:

KEMERTON, a village and a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester. The village stands near a small affluent of the Avon, amid hills commanding extensive views, adjacent to Worcestershire, 1½ mile E of Bredon r. station, and 5 NE of Tewkesbury; and has a postoffice‡ under Tewkesbury. ...

The parish comprises 1, 627 acres. Real property, £3, 709. Pop., 559. Houses, 135. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Kemerton Court, belongs to the Hoptons. Excellent freestone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £600, * Patron, not reported. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1847; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £15.

Kemerton through time

Kemerton is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kemerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kemerton, in Wychavon and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kemerton ".