Place:


Staveley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staveley like this:

STAVELEY, a township-chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire: at the foot of Windermere, 7 miles N of Cark and Cartmel r. station. It includes part of Newby-Bridge, which has a post-office under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 2,480. Real property, £3,621. Pop., 409. Houses, 76. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £110.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was enlarged in 1864. There are two endowed schools for respectively boys and girls.

Staveley through time

Staveley is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staveley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staveley, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10913

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staveley ".