Place:


Scotforth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scotforth like this:

SCOTFORTH, a village and a township in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancaster and Preston railway, 1¾ mile S of Lancaster; and contains a number of genteel houses. The township includes the hamlet of Langthwaite, and comprises 2, 764acres. Real property, £6, 117; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 693; in 1861, 955. Houses, 193. Greaves House and Parkfield are chief residences. There is a small endowed school.

Scotforth through time

Scotforth is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scotforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scotforth, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10886

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scotforth ".