Place:


Horton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:

HORTON, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 3 ¼ miles NE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 4¾ ENE of Yate r. station.—The parish comprises 3, 540 acres; and its post town is Chipping-Sodbury under Chippenham. Real property, £4, 751. ...


Pop., 454. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Pastons; and part of the old manor house still stands, and belongs now to Mrs. E. Fayle. Parts of the Cotswolds here command fine views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £657. * Patron, the Rev. T. R. Brooke, The church is early English; was restored in 1865; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and embattled tower; and contains tombs of the Pastons, and several old monuments. There is a national school, an ornate structure of 1860. Charities, £5.

Horton through time

Horton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10884

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horton ".