Place:


Scarisbrick  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scarisbrick like this:

SCARISBRICK, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3 miles N W of Ormskirk r. station; and has a post-office under Ormskirk. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Bescar and Snape-Green. ...


Acres, 8, 377. Real property, £13, 752; of which £23 are in quarries. Pop., 2, 112. Houses, 363. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Lady Scarisbrick. The living is annexed to Ormskirk. The church is in the later English style. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £19.—The sub-district contains also Burscough township, and comprises 13, 336 acres. Pop., 4, 573. Houses, 841.

Scarisbrick through time

Scarisbrick is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scarisbrick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scarisbrick in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10882

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scarisbrick ".