Place:


Hoton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoton like this:

HOTON, or HOUGHTON, a township and chapelry in Prestwold parish, Leicester; near the river Soar and the boundary with Notts, 3¼ miles NE of Loughborough r. station. Post town, Loughborough. Acres, 1,850. Real property, £3, 031. Pop., 401. Houses, 87. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Hastings. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the donative of Prestwold, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church was rebuilt in 1837, and has an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Hoton through time

Hoton is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoton, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10873

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoton ".