Place:


Rawmarsh  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rawmarsh like this:

RAWMARSH, a village and a parish in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Doncaster and Sheffield railway, 2¼ miles N by E of Rotherham; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Rotherham, and a temperance hall. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upper Haugh and Stubbin, and parts of Lower Haugh, Parkgate, and Kilnhurst. ...


Acres, 2, 448. Real property, £26, 258. Pop.in 1851, 2, 533; in 1861, 4, 374. Houses, 880. Rose Hill and Parkgate are chief residences. There are collieries, iron-works, steel-rolling mills, potteries, and chemical-works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £600.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The parochial church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1839; and a church at Parkgate was built shortly before1868. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £62 a year, and charities £73.

Rawmarsh through time

Rawmarsh is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rawmarsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rawmarsh, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1087

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rawmarsh ".