Place:


Heather  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heather like this:

HEATHER, a parish in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester; on the river Sence, 3 miles SSW of Swannington r. station, and 5 SE by S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Post town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 1, 01 5. Real property, £2, 620. Pop., 371. Houses, 86. The manor belongs to the Rev. G. P. Belcher; and the manor house contains some relics of a commandery of the Knights of St. ...


John, which dated prior to the time of King John, and was given, at the dissolution, to Oliver St. John and Robert Thornton. Heather Hall is the seat of the Goode family. Stocking making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £377. Patron, the Rev. G. P. Belcher. The church is early English, with a tower; and was repaired in 1853. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Heather through time

Heather is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heather itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heather in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10862

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heather ".