Place:


Redcar  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redcar like this:

REDCAR, a small town and a township-chapelry in Marske and Upleatham parishes, N. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the coast and on the Cleveland branch of the Stockton and Darlington railway, 3¼ miles E S E of the mouth of the river Tees, and 7½ E N E of Middlesborough; was, prior to 1833, a mere fishing-village; began then to acquire importance by the projection at it of a harbour of refuge, 500 acres in extent, with a depth of 30 feet of water, and a month 1,000 feet wide; rose further and rapidly into consequence, as a favourite sea-bathing resort; possesses the advantage of very fine and extensive sands, well adapted for bathing; consists chiefly of one long street, together with a terrace and outskirts; is practically conjoint with the village of Cotham; and has a head post-office, ‡ a railway station with telegraph, several good hotels, numerous respectable lodging-houses, a hydropathic establishment, a sea-bathing hospital, a church, four dissenting chapels, and a mixed public school. ...


The chapelry comprises 3, 900 acres of land and 423 of water. Real property, £6, 866. Pop. in 1851, 1,032; in 1861, 1, 330. Houses, 283. The manor belongs to the Earl of Zetland. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £50.* Patron, the Earl of Zetland.

Redcar through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Redcar go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redcar, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1086

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Redcar ".