Place:


Hill  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hill like this:

HILL, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; adjacent to the river Severn, 4 miles N of Thornbury, and 5½ W by S of Dursley Junction r. station. Posttown, Berkeley. Acres, 2, 476; of which 510 are water. Real property, £4, 146. Pop., 216. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Herbert Jenner, Esq. Hill Court is an ancient mansion, supposed to occupy the site of a monastery of the 12th century. The living is a donative in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250.* Patron, Herbert Jenner, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has a tower and spire.

Hill through time

Hill is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hill in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10858

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hill ".