Place:


Salesbury  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Salesbury like this:

SALESBURY, a township and a chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Ribble, 1½ mile W of Ribchester r. station, and 5 N by E of Blackburn. Acres, 1, 150. Real property, £1, 374. Pop., 331. Houses, 61. The manor belonged to the Salesburys; passed to the Clitheroes, the Talbots, and others; and belongs now to Lord De Tabley. ...


Talbot the antiquary was a native. The chapelry is much larger than the township, and was constitute, in 1842. Post-town, Blackburn. Pop., 1, 292. Houses, 254. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £118. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1807.

Salesbury through time

Salesbury is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Salesbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Salesbury, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10857

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Salesbury ".