Place:


Henbury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Henbury like this:

HENBURY, a village, a tything, a parish, and a hundred, in Gloucester. The village stands on the S W.verge of the county, near the Fosse way and the estuary of the Severn. 4½ miles NW of Bristol r. station: is a and has a post office under Bristol. The tything comprises 1, 490 acres. Real property, £5, 314. ...


Pop., 423. Houses, 96.—The parish contains also the tythings of Kings-Weston, Lawrence-Weston, Stowick, Compton, Charlton, Aust, and Redwick and Northwick; and is chiefly in the district of Clifton, but partly in that of Thornbury. Acres, 15, 409; of which 5, 820 are water. Real property, £25, 757. Pop., 2, 482. Houses, 492. The manor belongs to Sir Greville Smyth, Bart., and E. Colston, Esq. Blaise Castle is the seat of J. S. Harford, Esq. Henbury Hill, on which Blaise Castle stands, had a double ditched Roman camp; has yielded many Roman coins and other relics; and commands an exceedingly varied and beautiful view. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Hallen, Aust, and Northwick, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £840.* Patrons, Sir G. Smyth, Bart., Mrs. Colston, and the Rev. G. Gore. The church is early English; was repaired and enlarged in 1833; and comprises nave, aisles, and two porches, with low square tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyans, national schools, an endowed grammar school with £349, another endowed school with £235, and other charities with £267.-The hundred is cut into two divisions, lower and upper; the former containing Westbury-onTrym parish and part of Henbury; the latter containing Compton-Greenfield, Stoke-Gifford, and Yate parishes, and parts of Henbury and Tytherington. Acres of the whole, 27, 622. Pop., 7, 377. Houses, 1, 416.

Henbury through time

Henbury is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Henbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Henbury in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10846

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Henbury ".