Place:


Hempsted  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hempsted like this:

HEMPSTEAD, a village and a parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, near the Berkeley canal, 2 miles SW of Gloucester r. station; is a very pleasant suburb of Gloucester city, with a fine view; and has a post office under Gloucester. Acres, with South Hamlet, 1, 311. ...


Real property of H. alone, £3, 665. Pop. in 1851, 251; in 1861, 424. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Milo, Earl of Hereford, to Llanthony priory; and passed to the Atkynses, the Bathursts, and the Lysonses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £640. * Patron, D. H. Burr, Esq. The church is good, and has a neat low tower. A charity for widows of clergymen has £420 a year; and other charities have £65.

Hempsted through time

Hempsted is now part of Gloucester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gloucester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hempsted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hempsted, in Gloucester and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10843

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hempsted ".