Place:


Hartpury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartpury like this:

HARTPURY, a village and a parish in Newent district, Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Leadon, and the Hereford and Gloucester canal, 5 miles NW of Gloucester r. station; was formerly called Hardeper and Hardepery; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 3, 618 acres. ...


Real property, £6, 580. Pop., 843. Houses, 163. The property is divided among a few. Hartpury House is the seat of Gordon Canning, Esq. Rich meadows lie along the Leadon; are subject to frequent inundations; and, in 1863, were about to be improved at a cost of £8, 000. Orchards, for yielding cider and perry, are considerable; and bricks are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £235.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with western tower; and is in good condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £56.

Hartpury through time

Hartpury is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartpury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartpury, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10828

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartpury ".