Place:


Dodworth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dodworth like this:

DODWORTH, a township-chapelry in Silkstone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Barnesley and Penistone railway, 2¾ miles W by S of Barnesley. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Barnesley. Acres, 1, 947. Real property, £12, 863; of which £8, 055 are in mines. Pop., 2, 117. Houses, 435. The property is divided among a few. Linen and other manufactures are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Silk-stone. The church was built in 1842. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Dodworth through time

Dodworth is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dodworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dodworth, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1081

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dodworth ".