Place:


Llanvair Disgoed  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanvair Disgoed like this:

LLANVAIR-DISCOED, a township and a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth. The township lies near Went wood, 4 miles NNE of Magor r. station, and 5¾ W by S of Chepstow. Acres, 1,316. Real property, £907. Pop., 150. Houses, 32.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Dinham; and its Post town is Chepstow. ...


Acres, 1,986. Real property, £1,533. Pop., 187. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. Llanvair Castle belonged, in 1270, to the Pagan family; and is now a ruin, comprising a square tower and two round ones, in juxtaposition with a farm-house. Dinham Castle is now reduced to a few wood-covered vestiges. Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Caerwent, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is good.

Llanvair Disgoed through time

Llanvair Disgoed is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanvair Disgoed itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanvair Disgoed in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10809

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanvair Disgoed ".