Place:


Farnborough  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnborough like this:

FARNBOROUGH, a parish on the NE border of Hants, and a sub-district and a district in Hants and Surrey. The parish lies on the Southwestern railway and on the Basingstoke canal, 6 miles NNE of Farnham; has a station with telegraph on the main line of the railway, and also a station on the Reading branch; and has a head post office, ‡ called Farnborough Station, another post office, called Farnborough, under Farnborough Station, ¾ of a mile distant, and a third post office, ‡ called Farnborough Road, under Farnborough Station, 2 miles distant. ...


Acres, 2, 208. Real property, £3, 040. Pop., exclusive of military, in 1851, 477; in 1861, 1, 600. Houses, 144. The property is not much divided. A society was formed in 1862, for the purchase of free-hold land on advantageous sites, to assist builders and others with advances in covering it with buildings; and arrangements were made for purchasing 230 acres of land, and a hotel, between the Farnborough station and the Aldershot camps. The north camp is within this parish; and, at the census of 1861, had 3, 929 military; so that the entire pop. then was 5, 529. The Farnborough station, or that on the main Southwestern line, is one of the four "gates" of the camps; and has the advantage of being accessible from London by uninterrupted run. There are some tumuli. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £250.* Patron, W. Scott, Esq. The church is old; and there are some small charities. See Aldershot.—The sub-district contains also the parishes of Yateley and Long Sutton in Hants, and the parishes of Puttenham, Seal-with-Tongham, and part of Ash in Surrey. Acres, 24, 142. Pop., 11, 190. Houses, 1, 260.—The district comprehends also the sub-district of Headley, containing the parishes of Headley, Kingsley, and Bramshott, all in Hants. Acres, 39, 571. Poor-rates in 1862, £4, 651. Pop. in 1851, 7, 839; in 1861, 14, 318. Houses, 1, 925. Marriages in 1860, 81; births, 325, -of which 15 were illegitimate; deaths, 200, -of which 63 were at ages under 5 years, and 3 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 629; births, 2, 519; deaths, 1, 580. The places of worship in 1851 were 11 of the Church of England, with 3, 088 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 110 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 145 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 90 s.; and 4 of Bible Christians, with 344 s. The schools were 13 public day schools, with 779 scholars; 10 private day schools, with 207 s.; 11 Sunday schools, with 707 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 20 s. The district is composed of Farnborough, Ash, and Headley incorporations, under Gilbert's act; and it has workhouses in Farnborough, Ash, and Headley.

Farnborough through time

Farnborough is now part of Rushmoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushmoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnborough, in Rushmoor and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1080

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnborough ".