Place:


Warblington  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warblington like this:

WARBLINGTON, a parish in Havant district, Hants; on the sound between Langstone and Chichester harbours, 1 mile ESE of Havant r. station. It contains a village of its own name, and the village, head post-office, and r. station of Emsworth. Acres, 3,848; of which 650 are water. Real property, £10,165; of which £100 are in gasworks. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2,302; in 1861, 2,196. Houses, 475. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Warblingtons; and passed to R. de Monthermer, the Montacutes, the Cottons, and others. W. Castle probably dates from the time of the Warbletons, in or before the reign of Henry III.; was rebuilt in the time of Henry VII.; was, for some time, the residence of the Countess of Salisbury, mother of Reginald Pole; was the birthplace of Bishop Cotton, of the time of Elizabeth; and is now a ruin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. W. Norris. The church is Saxon and early English, and all good. The rectories of Emsworth and Redhill are separate benefices.

Warblington through time

Warblington is now part of Havant district. Click here for graphs and data of how Havant has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warblington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warblington, in Havant and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1079

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warblington ".