Place:


Roughlee Booth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roughlee Booth like this:

ROUGH-LEE-BOOTH, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; at the E end of Pendle forest, 3½ miles W of Colne r. station, and 6 N W of Burnley. Acres, 1, 320. Real property, £2, 287. Pop. in 1851, 719; in 1861, 424. Houses, 99. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of hand-loom weavers. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. There are a cotton factory and a Wesleyan chapel.

Roughlee Booth through time

Roughlee Booth is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roughlee Booth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roughlee Booth, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10780

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roughlee Booth ".