Place:


Rivington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rivington like this:

RIVINGTON, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Chorley district, Lancashire. The village stands on the side of a hill, 2 miles E N E of Adling-ton r. station, and 4 S E of Chorley; overlooks the largereservoir of the Liverpool water-works; and has a post-office under Chorley. ...


The chapelrycomprises 2, 630 acres; and is in Bolton-le-Moors parish. Real property, £2, 153. Pop., 369. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. R. Hall, Gillbrook Hall, and Beech House arechief residences. R. Pike is a mountain 1, 345 feet high, and had formerly a beacon. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £90* Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church is tolerable; and there are a Presbyterian chapel, and an endowed grammar-school with £310 a year.—The sub-district contains also another township of Bolton, and three of Standish. Acres, 7, 742. Pop., 3, 493. Houses, 676.

Rivington through time

Rivington is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rivington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rivington, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10775

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rivington ".