Place:


Rainhill  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rainhill like this:

RAINHILL, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 9 miles E of Liverpool; carries on manufactures of watch-movements, brooches, and other articles; has also iron-works, a foundry, and a varnish factory; a large engine factory and foundry; and has a station on the railway, a post-office‡under Prescot, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and national schools. ...


The church was built in 1837, and enlarged in 1843 and 1868; and consists of nave and aisles, with tower and spire. The Roman Catholic chapel was built by the late B. Bretherton, Esq.; is a large and highly ornate edifice; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and has, in connexion with it, a school and a convent. The township comprises 1, 642 acres. Real property, £8, 959; of which £130 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1, 522; in 1861, 2, 130. Houses, 384. Numerous villas stand on a hill, and command fine views over the Mersey into Cheshire. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1840. Pop. in 1861, 2, 608. Houses, 447. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. J. Brierley.

Rainhill through time

Rainhill is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rainhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rainhill, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10764

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rainhill ".