Place:


Pilling  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pilling like this:

PILLING, a village and a township-chapelry in Garstang parish, Lancashire. The village stands near Lancaster bay, 6½ miles W of Scorton r. station, and 6½ N Wby W of Garstang; and has a post-office under Preston. The chapelry comprises 8,017 acres. Real property, £6, 850. Pop. ...


in 1851, 1, 281; in 1861, 1, 388. Houses, 234. Much of the land is peat-moss; and large quantities of turf are cut. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £124.* Patrons, E. Hornby and J. Gardner, Esqs. The church was rebuilt in 1735. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a slightlyendowed national school.

Pilling through time

Pilling is now part of Wyre district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pilling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pilling, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10759

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pilling ".