Place:


Penketh  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penketh like this:

PENKETH, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Sankey canal, the Warrington and Runcorn-Gap railway, and the river Mersey, at Fidler's ferry, 3½ miles W S W of Warrington. It has a station on the railway, a post-office under Warrington, a brewery, Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school. Acres, 1,048. Real property, £3, 117. Pop. in 1851, 679; in 1861, 784. Houses, 141.

Penketh through time

Penketh is now part of Warrington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warrington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penketh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penketh, in Warrington and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10751

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penketh ".