Place:


Osmotherley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osmotherley like this:

OSMOTHERLEY, a township in Ulverstone parish, Lancashire; 2 miles N W by N of Ulverstone. Acres, 1, 140. Real property, £2, 318. Pop. in 1851, 325; in 1861, 419. Houses, 81. The increase of pop. arosefrom the extension of mining operations. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. A church-school is here, and is used as a chapel of ease.

Osmotherley through time

Osmotherley is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Osmotherley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osmotherley, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10743

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Osmotherley ".