Place:


Old Dalby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Dalby like this:

DALBY-ON-THE-WOLDS, or Old Dalby, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; adjacent to the Fosse way and to the boundary with Notts, 4½ miles NNW of Asfordby r. station, and 6½ NW of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Nether-Broughton, under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 3, 430. Real property, £3, 536. ...


Pop., 359. Houses, 75. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers was founded here in the time of Henry II., by Robert de Bossu, Earl of Leicester. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £40. Patron, the Rev. W. G. Sawyer. The church was built in 1836, at a cost of £5, 000; and has a square tower. There is also, at Sixhills, a modern chapel of ease. Charities, £9.

Old Dalby through time

Old Dalby is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Dalby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Dalby, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10721

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Dalby ".