In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Dalby like this:
DALBY (Great), or Dalby Magna, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 3 miles S by W of Melton-Mowbray r. station. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 2, 328. Real property, £3, 252. Pop., 484. Houses, 97. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £209.* Patron, Sir R. Burdett, Bart. The church is old and bad. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Dalby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Melton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Dalby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Dalby, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Dalby".