Place:


Croxton Kerrial  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croxton Kerrial like this:

CROXTON-KEYRIAL, a parish in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester; at the head of the river Devon, adjacent to Lincolnshire, 7 miles W of Great Ponton r. station, and 7 SW of Grantham. It has a post office, of the name of Croxton, under Grantham. Acres, 3, 900. Real property, £5, 737. ...


Pop., 594. Houses, 124. Croxton Park was formerly the Duke of Rutland's hunting-seat; and it has long been noted for races, held about the end of March; but the mansion on it, built in 1730, was lately taken down. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £265.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and square-embattled tower; and is in good condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £69.

Croxton Kerrial through time

Croxton Kerrial is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croxton Kerrial itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croxton Kerrial, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10716

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croxton Kerrial ".