Place:


Coston  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coston like this:

COSTON, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 3¾ miles NE of Saxby r. station, and 7 ENE of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1, 745. Real property, £2, 556. Pop., 179. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. Coston House is the seat of the Phelps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £334.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is neat, and was recently restored.

Coston through time

Coston is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coston, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10707

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coston ".