Place:


Coleorton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coleorton like this:

COLE-ORTON, a parish in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester; near the Leicester and Swannington railway and Charnwood forest, 3 miles E by N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Post town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 1, 999. Real property, £9, 058; of which £3, 837 are in mines. Pop., 626. Houses, 136. ...


The property is divided among a few. Cole-Orton Hall is the seat of Sir G. H. Beaumont, Bart. Coal has been worked for many centuries. The parish is a meet for the Donington hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £267.* Patron, Sir G. H. Beaumont, Bart. The church has a fine spire; was recently restored; and contains monuments of the Beaumonts. Beaumont's hospital and school have £175 from endowment; and other charities £11.

Coleorton through time

Coleorton is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coleorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coleorton in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10702

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coleorton ".