In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Eaton like this:
EATON (Long), a township-chapelry in Sawley parish, Derby; at the verge of the county, on the Erewash river and canal, and on the Erewash Valley railway, 8 miles SW by W of Nottingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham. Real property, £6, 827; of which £100 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 933; in 1861, 1, 551. Houses, 336. The increase of population arose from the erection of steam factories, and the facilities of railway communication. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is old; and there are three dissenting chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Long Eaton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Long Eaton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Eaton, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Long Eaton".