Place:


Melling  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melling like this:

MELLING, a township-chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, adjacent to the river Alt, and to the East Lancashire railway, 1 mile SE of Maghull r. station, and 7 NNE of Liverpool. It has a postal letter-box under Liverpool. Acres, 2,120. Real property, £5,430; of which £100 are in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851,662; in 1861,728. Houses, 126. The chief landowners are Lord Skelmersdale, the Earl of Derby, and T. W. Blundell, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church was rebuilt in 1834; is in the pointed style; and contains several handsome tablets. There are a national school, with £25 a year from endowment, and a Roman Catholic school.

Melling through time

Melling is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Melling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melling, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10686

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Melling ".