Place:


Charley  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charley like this:

CHARLEY, or Charnwood, an extra-parochial tract in Loughborough district, Leicester; on the Wolds, near Charnwood forest, 5¼ miles SW of Loughborough. Acres, 500. Real property, £670. Pop., 34. Houses, 5. An Augustinian friary was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by the Blanchmains; and some remains of it exist.

Charley through time

Charley is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charley in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10677

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charley ".