Place:


Elmore  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmore like this:

ELMORE, a parish in the district and -county of Gloucester; near the river Severn, the South Wales railway, and the Great Western Union railway, 5 miles SW of Gloucester. Post town, Hempstead, under Gloucester. Acres, 1, 486. Real property, £2, 949. Pop., 374. Houses, 77. The property is not much divided. Elmore Court is the seat of Sir W. V. Guise, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £73. Patron, Sir J. W. Guise. The church is ancient, but good; and has an embattled tower. Charities, £17.

Elmore through time

Elmore is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmore, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10641

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmore ".