Place:


Bottesford  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bottesford like this:

BOTTESFORD, or Botsworth, a village and a parish in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester. The village stands in the vale of Belvoir. near the Grantham canal and the Nottingham and Grantham railway, 7 miles WNW of Grantham; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Nottingham. ...


The parish includes also the hamlets of Easthorpe and Normanton. Acres, 5,010. Real property, £9,386. Pop., 1,415. Houses, 317. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given at the Conquest to R. de Todeni, and belongs now to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £993.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is large, cruciform, and very good, with a tower at the west end; and contains monuments to many of the Earls and Dukes of Rutland. There are four dissenting chapels, two endowed hospitals for poor men and poor widows, with £479 and £133 a year, and a school with £36.

Bottesford through time

Bottesford is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bottesford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bottesford, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10633

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bottesford ".