In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belton like this:
BELTON, a parish in Loughborough district, Leicester; 4½ miles NNE of Swannington r. station, and 6 WNW of Loughborough. Its statistics include the extra-parochial tract of Grace-Dieu; and its Post Town is Sheepshead, under Loughborough. Acres, 1,900. Real property, £5,259. Pop., 781. Houses, 161. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £179.* Patron, the Marquis of Hastings. The church is a fine old edifice, with tower and spire; and contains a monument of Roesia de Verdun, the founder of Grace-Dieu nunnery. There are two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and a great annual horse fair.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Belton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North West Leicestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Belton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belton in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Belton".