Place:


Doynton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doynton like this:

DOYNTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; on the river Boyd, near the boundaries with Wilts and Somerset, 4 miles N of Twerton r. station, and 5 NNW of Bath. Post town, Bitton, under Bristol. Acres, 1, 703. Real property, £4, 007. Pop., 448. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £433.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old, but good; shows no regard to style; and has a square tower. A chapel, in connexion with the Bristol Itinerant Society, was founded in 1861.

Doynton through time

Doynton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Doynton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doynton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10607

Date accessed: 16th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Doynton ".