Place:


Dodington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dodington like this:

DODINGTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, at the head of the river Frome, 2½ miles SE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 4½ SE by E of Yate r. station. Post town, Chipping-Sodbury, under Chippenham. Acres, 1, 473. Real property, £2, 424. Pop., 126. ...


Houses, 2 7. The property is divided among a few. Dodington House is the seat of SirB. Codrington, Bart. Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £199.* Patron, SirB. Codrington, Bart. The church is a neat Ionic edifice, built about 1810, and repaired in 1859.

Dodington through time

Dodington is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dodington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dodington in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10593

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dodington ".