Place:


Knowsley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowsley like this:

KNOWSLEY, a township-chapelry in Huyton parish, Lancashire; 2½ miles N by W of Huyton r. station, and 3 NW by W of Prescot. Post town, Prescot. Acres, 4, 750. Real property, £12, 549; of which £1, 367 are in mines, and £330 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 486; in 1861, 1, 349. ...


Houses, 243. The property all belongs to the Earl of Derby. Knowsley Hall is the Earl's seat; has been enlarged from time to time: includes portions of the period of Henry VII.; was fully restored, by the tenth earl, before 1735; presents imposing fronts, surmounted by round towers; contains portraits of all the Stanleys, and a large and valuable collection of paintings by the old masters; and was visited, in November 1865, by the Prince and Princess of Wales. The grounds around it comprise upwards of 2, 000 acres; are enclosed by a stone wall upwards of 8 feet high, pierced by thirteen entrances; and contain tasteful gardens, many ancient oaks, and ornamental waters nearly a mile long. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Valne, £300.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is recent, cruciform, and handsome; and has a W broach spire. There are national schools.

Knowsley through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Knowsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Knowsley go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowsley in Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10578

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knowsley ".