Place:


Cowley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowley like this:

COWLEY, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; on Ermine-street, under the Cotswolds, 5½ miles S by E of Cheltenham. Post town, Colesborne, under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,834. Real property, £2, 427. Pop., 311. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £322.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good.

Cowley through time

Cowley is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowley, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10574

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowley ".