Place:


Appleby Magna  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appleby Magna like this:

APPLEBY, a village and a parish in Ashby-de-la Zouch district, on the confines of Leicester and Derby. The village stands 1½ mile WSW of the Mease river and the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, and 6 miles SW by S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. It has a post office‡ under Atherstone; and is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. ...


It is sometimes called Appleby-Magna or Great Appleby; while a hamlet a little S of it, in the same parish, is called Appleby-Parva or Little Appleby. The parish comprises 2,020 acres. Real property, £7,06 7. Pop., 1,070. Houses, 248. The property is not much divided. Appleby Hall is the seat of G. Moore, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £750.* Patron, G. Moore, Esq. The church is a handsome structure with a spire; and has some good painted glass. There are three dissenting chapels and a free grammar school,-the latter founded in 1697, by Sir John Moore, lord mayor of London. Endowed income of the grammar school, £326; other charities £9.

Appleby Magna through time

Appleby Magna is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appleby Magna itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleby Magna in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10568

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appleby Magna ".